Revolting moldy brownies destined to be half eaten by customer during delivery error
A family of brothers were left with a bad taste in their mouths when a take-out dessert company sent mold-covered brownies instead of throwing them in the trash. And their mother was bitterly disappointed after complaining on their behalf.
Clare George, 47, was caring for a poor member of her family when take-out Sundae Gelato dessert arrived for her three sons and a few friends, ordered through Just Eat.
Now the Gloucester mum feels disgusted to have received the refund bypass which she says could have easily solved the problem. The dessert company said it sent food home that needed to go in the trash and has since offered her a refund as well.
Read more: Horrifying homemade Stanley blade and toothbrush weapon found in Gloucester teenager’s bedroom
Clare has three sons aged 20, 18 and 12. Her eldest son had called her to tell her that the desserts were moldy. So mom called Sundae Gelato to request a replacement order or a refund.
Clare said: ‘My son phoned me mortified. He had paid £30 for desserts to share with his brothers and a few friends.
“The boys were eating the desserts when they were watching a movie, so they only had the TV light on. They realized the chocolate one didn’t taste good and when they turned on the light, they realized that it was musty.
Clare’s son called Sundae Gelato to explain the situation. It was claimed they were told to contact Just Eat for a refund.
Clare said: “My son was told the desserts were frozen so they should have been fine. So I called Sundae Gelato and said we should have a refund or replacement order due to what was delivered.
“They kept telling me another order would be delivered but it never came, then they said the owner would be in touch and they hung up on the phone. No one could have eaten this food.
“I’m amazed that no one saw the mold on the food before it left the store. It’s lucky the kids didn’t end up with food poisoning.
A spokesperson for the Gloucester branch of Sundae Gelato said: ‘We are sorry for Clare George’s experience at our restaurant. We take health and safety very seriously here.
“We do our best to keep our customers happy and satisfied. In Miss George’s case, there was a mistake in sending her a cake that had to be thrown away and left out.
“The staff who packed the order were newly hired staff who had been trained, but it was their third day on the job. I was on vacation myself and was not informed of this case until my return.
“After Miss George called the restaurant to report it on the day of her order, we offered to send her the replacement of her order immediately, but she not only wanted the replacement of the order, she also requested a refund at the restaurant. So we advised and explained to Miss George that she can get her refund through Just Eat because that’s where she placed her order and that’s how she can get her refund.”
They added: ‘After I returned from vacation I contacted Miss George as we told her we would contact her. I explained the situation to him and we offered him £50 vouchers to come and spend in the restaurant from our full menu. . She also received her full refund from Just Eat the same day she ordered.
“As a business owner, we do our best to keep all of our customers happy and satisfied. We take health and safety very seriously. We take the cleanliness of the space and the kitchen very seriously.
“When it comes to our customer service, we do everything in our power to keep our customers coming back. As a business, it has become difficult to survive.
Just Eat is also looking into the matter. They said it was important for customers to have a positive experience when using the delivery service.
Statement attributable to a Just Eat spokesperson: “We take food safety very seriously and are actively working to raise standards in the takeaway industry. For us it is really important that our customers have a positive experience when ‘they order their food online and we’re sorry to hear that. , in this case this customer’s experience does not reflect the high standard we hoped to deliver. We are contacting the customer so we can investigate further. “