Caramel Popcorn Cookies – Modern Honey
Caramel Popcorn Cookies are made with brown sugar cookie dough with chewy, crunchy caramel popcorn pieces throughout the cookie. If you love caramel, you’ll love these Caramel Corn Cookies!
These caramel popcorn cookies are unlike anything I have ever tasted in my life.
The first time I made them I was shocked because they were crunchy, sweet and chewy and had the best butterscotch flavor. These Caramel Corn Cookies are out of this world!
I found this cookie recipe in a Flour Bakery cookbook and after writing it down as it was written, I started playing around with the recipe and making a few changes. You now have the perfect savory and sweet cookie recipe.
If you want to make these cookies with homemade caramel corn, check out my HOMEMADE SWEET CARAMEL CORN RECIPE.
Caramel Corn Cookie Ingredients:
- Butter — you can use salted or unsalted butter in these cookies. I like the extra salt because it cuts through the sweetness of the caramel corn and is the perfect complement
- brown sugar — When you add brown sugar to cookies, it makes for a chewier cookie. Higher ratio of brown sugar to sugar creates the perfect chewy texture
- Sugar — it helps give those coveted crispy edges to cookies
- Eggs — this recipe calls for a whole egg and an egg yolk. Extra egg yolk gives cookies extra richness without drying them out
- Vanilla extract — my vanilla extract of choice is either Nielsen-Massey or real authentic Mexican vanilla, found online
- Plain flour — this recipe calls for all-purpose flour
- Baking soda — this is a leavening agent that is activated by brown sugar and will allow cookies to rise in the oven
- baking powder — another leavening agent that will give cookies volume
- Salt — an integral ingredient that brings out flavor and balances sweetness
- caramelized corn — Use homemade caramel corn or store bought caramel corn. I have used both homemade and store bought with great success. This recipe calls for 4-6 cups of caramel corn. A typical bag of caramel corn is 6 cups for 8 ounces.
How to make Caramel Popcorn Cookies:
- Start by creaming together the barely softened butter, the brown sugar and the sugar for 4 minutes. Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl halfway through to ensure even mixing. This helps give the butter time to coat the sugar crystals to create a smooth, creamy cookie texture.
- Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and mix for 1 more minute.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add 4 cups of caramel corn and stir for about 30 seconds to 1 minute to help break some of the caramel corn into small pieces.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.
- Line light-colored baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop the cookie dough onto a baking sheet and be sure to move them aside in case of spreading.
- Top each cookie dough ball with a few caramel chips. Bake for 11 to 14 minutes. At the exit of the oven, if the cookies have spread out, take a spatula and gently press the edges of the cookie towards the center to give it the shape of a circle. To make the cookies more indulgent, add a few extra caramel corn balls on top of the cookies.
- For an extra salty-sweet cookie, sprinkle with sea salt flakes.
Caramel and Butterscotch Recipes: